Tuesday, December 20, 2011

One of My New Favorites: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin  ISBN:  9781442421769.  Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Younger Readers, 2011
I purchased this book from Barnes and Noble for my library.  Format:  Hard copy

Summary from Amazon.com
Mara Dyer doesn't believe life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.  It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her strangely unharmed.  There is.

She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.  She's wrong.

What I Think...
One of my new favorites, The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is hypnotizingly haunting. Once I finished this book, I just couldn't let it go.  I wanted more, and I am definitely holding out for a sequel! Please let there be a sequel! 

Riddled with in-depth touches into the power of the human mind, Mara Dyer grabs the reader by the hand and leads them into dark and hollow places that only Mara herself can navigate.
Hodkin does an excellent job writing Mara as a believable character who is trying to redeem herself through her past and through the realities that she faces at the forefront of her undoing.  
A fabulously written book, Mara Dyer questions the control that one has over one's own mental strengths and weaknesses. Insane or sane? From beginning to end, I was glued to every page.  And oh, my! What an ending. After reading the last page, I sat in my reading chair, gripping this book wide-eyed, silently screaming for more.
 

3 comments:

  1. I love what you've done with the place. :-) I think you're off to a great start. I'm definitely bookmarking your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much. It is a work in progress...

    ReplyDelete
  3. like you blogm,tomorrow is another day~ good luck. Diablo 3 Power leveling

    ReplyDelete