Friday, October 11, 2013

Somewhere over the Rainbow Rowell

Believe it or not, my most recent book recommendations do not involve a Zombie Apocalypse, dystopian society, or the TEOTWAWKI.
That's right.  I must confess that I have been reading and recommending quite a bit of contemporary YA lately.  You see, John Green's The Fault in our Stars was a summer reading book for this year's new batch of freshmen.  Needless to say, the kids fell in love with Hazel Grace and Augustus Waters. Who wouldn't, right?  So, I began to find myself struggling to fill what I call the "John Green Void" that my students were experiencing.  Luckily, I have had the pleasure of reading two fantastic contemporary YA books by the very talented Rainbow Rowell.  And now when I am asked, "What have you read lately, Mrs. Madison?"  I immediately recommend Eleanor & Park and/or Fangirl.

Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell

ISBN: 9781250012579
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin, February 2013

Format: eBook purchased via my Kindle

Summary from goodreads.com
Set over the course of one school year in 1986, Eleanor and Park is the story of two star-crossed misfits - smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try. When Eleanor meets Park, you'll remember your own first love -- and just how hard it pulled you under.

What I think...
This was my favorite realistic read of the summer.

Rowell's contribution to YA contemporary fiction pays homage to the unforgettable culture of the 1980s.  The Walkman. Mixed tapes. David Bowie. Duran Duran. Mohawks. Madonna.  And of course, an epic teenage love story.  Although the book starts out a little a slow, I really thought that the pacing and the alternate points of view gave me a chance to appreciate that despite their differences, both Eleanor and Park are outsiders.  Their relationship begins when they share a seat on the bus together and have to endure taunting and name calling from their "popular" classmates.  They gradually form a silent connection, one that blooms into a dynamic relationship that really made this a "page-turner" for me.

The loyalty that these two share is inspiring.  Even though they are so very different, they stick together, even when it means that they might have to make sacrifices along the way.

I would recommend this book to folks who 1) appreciate '80s culture, 2) enjoy a good love story, and 3) are looking to fill their "John Green Void."


Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
ISBN: 9781250030955
Publisher:  St. Martin's Griffin, September 2013


Format:  eBook purchased via my Kindle

My Summary

For 18 years, identical twins Cath and Wren have shared everything, especially their obsession with Simon Snow, the epic protagonist in their favorite book series.  But now that they are in college, Wren is determined to find her own identity which requires separating herself from her twin sister, Cath.  So, while Wren parties and socializes with her new roommate and new friends, Cath blends into the background, hiding in her dorm room to work on her extremely popular Simon Snow fanfiction, "Carry on, Simon."
Although the sisters take different paths, they both realize that they have inevitably evolved together, connecting with unforgettable secondary characters along the way.

What I think...

Fangirl is a nerd-girl story about family, new beginnings, fanfiction, the love of books, and finding your first love.

Who will enjoy this book?

  • ANYONE who has ever OBSESSED over a book or fictional character. Don't try to act like this doesn't apply to you. You know who are you are! 
  • Harry Potter fans. EXPECTO PATRONUM! (Sorry.  I couldn't help myself.)
  • Nerd girls and boys. Please do not take offense to my use of the word "nerd."  It is a compliment.
  • Lovers of fanfiction. 
  • Aspiring writers. 
  • Teens who want to read about real-life issues.
The best thing about Fangirl is the multilayered, character-driven plot.  The characters are unforgettable, and there is just enough drama and romance to keep the reader happy.

I am definitely a fan of Fangirl.  

*Note to S9 Readers:  I currently do not have copies of Eleanor & Park or Fangirl in the library.   Please be patient.  I hope to order new releases soon.









No comments:

Post a Comment